BLOOMINGTON, Ind.– The Penn State women’s tennis team took on Indiana today, in Big Ten action. The Hoosiers came out on top 5-2 over the Nittany Lions in a closely contested conference match.
In doubles, the team went 0-2 to drop the point to the Hoosiers. Olivia Rohrbacher (Sandusky, Ohio) and Frederikke Svarre (Copenhagen, Denmark) had their match against Caitlin Bernard and Michelle McKamey go unfinished, but the duo was up 6-6 (3-0) when play ended. Shannon Hanley (Kensington, Md.) and Samantha Smith (Cary, N.C.) fell to Madison Appel and Jelly Bozovic, 7-5. Bennett Dunn (Orlando, Fla.) and Gabby O’Gorman (Gunnedah, N.S. Wales, Australia) fell to Xiwei Cai and Natalie Whalen, 6-3.
In singles, the team went 2-4, pushing four matches to the third set. Svarre won her match against Appel by retirement, 6-4, 6-7 (4), 5-3. O’Gorman dropped her match to Whalen, 6-3, 6-2. Hanley fell to Bernard 6-3, 5-7, 6-2. Smith was locked in a tight match, but ultimately lost, 6-2, 4-6, 6-0 Dunn also went to the third set but was knocked off by Bozovic 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Hanna Wikberg (Stockholm, Sweden) came out victorious against Olga Zavarotnaya 6-2, 7-6 (7).
"This loss stings for sure,” said head coach Chris Cagle. “We know where we stand in the league and we needed to win today's match so that is tough to swallow. Indiana played well so credit to them. We played hard and competed but ultimately the doubles point and three set matches got us. We need to regroup and get ready for Northwestern and Illinois next weekend."
Overall, the Nittany Lions are now 7-13 and 2-7 in the Big Ten. The team is back home next weekend, to take on Northwestern Friday, Apr. 20 at 4:00 p.m. and Illinois Sunday, Apr. 22 at 11:00 a.m.
Keep up with the Penn State women's tennis team at GoPSUsports.com. For continued updates throughout the year, make sure to `like' our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/pennstatewten and follow our twitter @pennstateWTEN.
1. Madison Appel/Jelly Bozovic (IND) def. Shannon Hanley/Samantha Smith (PSU) 7-5
2. Caitlin Bernard/Michelle McKamey (IND) vs. Olivia Rohrbacher/Frederikke Svarre (PSU) 6-6 (0-3), unfinished
3. Xiwei Cai/Natalie Whalen (IND) def. Bennett Dunn/Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) 6-3
1. Frederikke Svarre (PSU) def. Madison Appel (IND) 6-4, 6-7 (4-7), 5-3, retired
2. Natalie Whalen (IND) def. Gabby O'Gorman (PSU) 6-3, 6-2
3. Caitlin Bernard (IND) def. Shannon Hanley (PSU) 6-3, 5-7, 6-2
4. Xiwei Cai (IND) def. Samantha Smith (PSU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-0
5. Jelly Bozovic (IND) def. Bennett Dunn (PSU) 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Hanna Wikberg (PSU) def. Olga Zavarotnaya (IND) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)